An ca.1880 photograph includes what may be the entire seminary standing in front of the first dormitory, Goddard Hall, with faculty near the center and students on either side.
Prof. Silas Rawson, teacher of science, is the sixth gentleman in from the left. Silas Rawson had been a Westbrook Seminary student, 1854-1856. Ida A. Dunn, preceptress and secretary, is the lady in the light dress in the center of the photograph. She holds in front of herself, in both hands, a closed book. Miss Dunn was a member of the Westbrook Seminary Class of 1876.
Goddard Hall was the second building on the Westbrook Seminary campus and named for major donor Thomas A. Goddard of Boston. The 1857 Italianate had a double entrance on the second level. The building, which originally housed both males and females, was divided from basement to attic by a brick wall that prevented entrance from one side to the other.
Hersey Hall, just beyond Goddard, was the second dormitory and the third building on the Westbrook Seminary campus. Built in 1869, it was named for Samuel F. Hersey, a Bangor timber baron who made the largest financial donation for its construction. It has Italianate details and was noted when it opened for the "bathing room" on each dorm floor.
Size of Original
9 7/8 inches x 7 7/8 inches
Silas Rawson, Ida A. Dunn
"Westbrook Seminary Students and Faculty Before Goddard Hall, ca.1880" (ca.1880). University of New England, Westbrook College History Collection. http://dune.une.edu/wchc_photos_students1880s/1
Fair use: You do not need permission to use this material for personal research, in-class teaching purposes, school projects and assignments, blog posts or other non-commercial purposes. Proper citation is required.
Commercial use: Please contact WCHC for use of images in publications.