Alumni Hall and the Abplanalp Library are featured in this ca. 1990 colored photograph postcard. Named for 1945 alumna Josephine Sloboda Abplanalp, the Abplanalp Library opened in 1986. The front section of the Library is the former 1900 McArthur Gymnasium, which was originally designed by Portland architect Francis Fassett.
Kenneth McLean, the Boston architect who planned the renovation and new addition, followed many of the details on Fassett's 1900 gym. For example, the dormer windows, the glass enclosure at the main door, and the exterior arch reflect the older building's roof line. The exposed beams on the second floor are similar to the wooden trusses in the gym.
Portland Landmarks, Inc. awarded a citation for the building's quality renovation and design.
Location of Original
Westbrook College History Collection
Size of Original
6 inches x 4 inches
"Abplanalp Library and Alumni Hall, Westbrook College, ca. 1990" (ca. 1990). University of New England, Westbrook College History Collection. https://dune.une.edu/wchc_photos_abplanalp/4