The Abplanalp Library, named for 1945 alumna Josephine Sloboda Abplanalp, opened in 1986. The front section of the Library is the former 1900 McArthur Gymnasium, and the addition and section that connects with Alumni Hall was constructed in 1985 and 1986.
Carved into the wooden lintels over the windows are the names of writers who have special importance in either the state's or the college's history. The two names visible in this photograph are Longfellow and Robinson--Henry Wadsworth Longfellow and Edward Arlington Robinson. Both are over windows that overlook the Library courtyard and look into the 24-hour computer lab.
Location of Original
Westbrook College History Collection
Size of Original
5 inches x 3 1/2 inches
"Abplanalp Library Windows, Westbrook College, 1986" (1986). University of New England, Westbrook College History Collection. https://dune.une.edu/wchc_photos_abplanalp/8