The Universalist Church of Portland, designed by Francis H. Fassett and built in 1867, at the entrance of Westbrook Junior College, was photographed by Walter Elwell in August, 1967.
In the years leading up to 1964, the First Universalist Church (Congress Square) experienced declining membership and financial hardships. The Congress Square building was sold, the congregation merged with Messiah-All Souls (which had merged in 1943), and the All Souls Church was renamed the Universalist Church of Portland.
The building celebrated its 100th anniversary with new white paint, and with a new steeple and shuttered belfrey windows.
Black and white photograph
Location of Original
Westbrook College History Collection
Size of Original
6 13/16 inches x 7 inches
Elwell, Walter,"Universalist Church of Portland, Westbrook Junior College, August 1967" (1967). University of New England, Westbrook College History Collection. https://dune.une.edu/wchc_photos_allsouls/6