Included in the six buildings that are part of the Westbrook College Historic District, the Gothic church was constructed in 1867 for $14,000. Francis Fassett, who also designed McArthur Gym, built the church for the First Universalist Society of Westbrook.
When the Seminary deeded the land to the Universalists in the 1860s, the Trustees stated that if the church abandoned the property, the property would revert to the seminary. In 1970, when the Universalists built a new church, the college acquired the Gothic structure. From 1970 to 1986, the campus library was located in the church building. In October 1986, after the Abplanalp Library opened within McArthur Gymnasium and new construction, the Eleanor DeWolf Ludcke (class of 1926) Auditorium was dedicated within the church.
Black and white photograph
Location of Original
Westbrook College History Collection
Size of Original
8 inches x 10 inches
"All Souls Church to Library-in-a-Church, Westbrook College, ca. 1970" (ca. 1970). University of New England, Westbrook College History Collection. https://dune.une.edu/wchc_photos_allsouls/9