The exterior of Hersey Hall, Westbrook Junior College, Portland, Maine, is shown in this circa 1930s, 1940s sepia toned photograph. Hersey Hall was the second dormitory and the third building constructed on the Westbrook Seminary campus. Built in 1869, Hersey Hall was named for Samuel Freeman Hersey (1812-1875), a Bangor timber baron and politician who served in the Maine State Senate and as a United States Congressman.
Hersey Hall has Italianate details--the bracketed eaves and the front porch--and was noted when it opened for the "bathing room" on each dormitory floor. The low brick building attached to Hersey Hall on the left is the dining hall which connects Hersey Hall to Goddard Hall.
Location of Original
Westbrook College History Collection
Size of Original
9 7/16 inches x 7 7/16 inches
"Hersey Hall, Westbrook Junior College, Circa 1930s, 1940s" (circa 1930s, 1940s). University of New England, Westbrook College History Collection. https://dune.une.edu/wchc_photos_hersey/1