When Dr. Milton D. Proctor arrived in 1933 to serve as president of Westbrook Seminary and Junior College, he expanded the Library within Hersey Hall. The "new college library" was announced in the 1935-36 Westbrook Junior College Catalogue and boasted of new oak tables and Bentwood "Duxbury" spindle back chairs made from ash.
This glossy, sepia toned photograph shows the "new college library" in Hersey Hall with its oak shelving and tables. The Bentwood spindle back chairs made from ash had not yet arrived.
In 1952 the college library moved from Hersey Hall to the newly constructed Proctor Hall Library, where it remained until 1971.
Location of Original
Westbrook College History Collection
Size of Original
9 7/16 inches x 7 7/16 inches
""New College Library," Hersey Hall, Westbrook Junior College, 1935" (1935). University of New England, Westbrook College History Collection. https://dune.une.edu/wchc_photos_libraryhersey/5