image preview


Carolyn Mussig and Barbara Ripley clean up after a grease fire in the Houghton Hall kitchen, Westbrook Junior College, Portland, Maine, in this candid black and white snapshot taken, March 4, 1956. Carolyn and Barbara are "scrubbing the kitchen ceiling, removing grease left when an impromptu attempt at making French Fries led to overheated fat. Luckily, the kitchen was visible across lots from a nearby fire station, whose crew had spotted the smoke before an annoyance became a calamity."

Houghton Hall was the cooperative dormitory and time had to be made for housework as well as homework.


Black and white photograph


Joyce K. Bibber

Creation Date


Size of Original

3 3/8 inches x 3 3/8 inches


Gift of Joyce K. Bibber, graduate of Westbrook Junior College, Class of 1956.

Files over 3MB may be slow to open. For best results, right-click and select "save as..."



Access Rights

Fair use: You do not need permission to use this material for personal research, in-class teaching purposes, school projects and assignments, blog posts or other non-commercial purposes. Proper citation is required.
Commercial use: Please contact WCHC for use of images in publications.