In 1876 Dr. J. William Daniels taught geometry at Westbrook Seminary in the Seminary Building, renamed Alumni Hall in 1894. Nine male and five female students sit on straight-back benches in front of blackboards covered with geometric diagrams. Dr. Daniels sits at his desk.
Central heating was not put into the Seminary Building until about 1894 so locating the stove on the end away from the chimney facilitated bringing fuel to it from the central hall and provided a long stovepipe, which gave off heat as the smoke moved through it.
Size of Original
9 7/8 inches x 7 7/8 inches
Dr. J. William Daniels
"Dr. J. William Daniels and Geometry Class, Westbrook Seminary, 1876" (1876). University of New England, Westbrook College History Collection. http://dune.une.edu/wchc_photos_students1870s/4
Fair use: You do not need permission to use this material for personal research, in-class teaching purposes, school projects and assignments, blog posts or other non-commercial purposes. Proper citation is required.
Commercial use: Please contact WCHC for use of images in publications.