McArthur Gymnasium was built in 1900 by the prominent Maine architect Francis Fassett (1823-1908), whose "handsome and commodious" design combined the round forms of Romanesque architecture with the angular shapes of Gothic. Influenced by Maine's shipbuilding industry, Fassett designed the gymnasium's support structure and beams to resemble the ribbing inside the hull of a wooden boat.
The interior of the gymnasium was photographed in 1907. (Note the 45-star flag.) The balcony was a padded track for runners, with 36 laps to a mile. After 1904, a small duckpin bowling alley filled part of the basement.
Location of Original
Westbrook College History Collection
Size of Original
9 1/2 inches x 7 1/2 inches
"McArthur Gymnasium Interior, Westbrook Seminary, 1907" (1907). University of New England, Westbrook College History Collection. https://dune.une.edu/wchc_photos_mcarthur/1