McArthur Gymnasium was built in 1900 by Maine architect Francis Fassett, the same architect who in 1867 designed the wooden Gothic church on Stevens Avenue which now houses the Eleanor DeWolfe Ludcke Auditorium. The building combines both the round forms found in Romanesque architecture (the round brick archway on the front) and Gothic angular shapes in the roofline and the corners.
McArthur Gymnasium was named in honor of Biddeford businessman and philanthropist Robert McArthur (1838-1914) who supplied the funds for its construction. Upon completion it was hailed for providing "ample opportunity for exercise and recreation even in cold or stormy weather."
Location of Original
Westbrook College History Collection
Size of Original
6 7/16 inches x 8 1/2 inches
"McArthur Gymnasium, Westbrook Seminary, 1900" (1900). University of New England, Westbrook College History Collection. https://dune.une.edu/wchc_photos_mcarthur/2